Pages

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition Unboxing

I don't post very often, but when I do... I like it to be special. And so I thought I'd give you some of my impressions on the famous collector's edition of Fallout 4, the one that blew the minds of so many fans of the franchise. I made a (thorough as I could) video of me unboxing the awesome package. I tried to do a bit of commentary, but I didn't like the results, plus I'm one of those who hate the sound of their own voice, so I hope you enjoy some smooth jazz. But enough about me...


First things first, let's talk about the exterior, for that's the first impression and the most important. It looks so awesome, the guy at the counter was almost as equally excited as I was, and I actually feel a bit guilty for not letting him unpack it there, because I really wanted to unbox and film it first hand. So the box is a nice looking plastic box wrapped aroung in a transparent layer with the cover art, branding and other stuff. That layer can be simply discarded, mine was even slightly deteriorated, so... yeah. But the actual box is a treat to look at. The plastic it's made of is fairly rigid, of good quality, and has a solid vintage design. But the contents inside are the best part.

There's the game, of course, both a leaflet with the Steam code, and a physical disk inside a beautiful steel case showcasing the power armor helmet and an embosed Fallout 4 logo. What I've realized is that the case is the size of a blu-ray case, not a DVD case, which is not a big deal, but it goes to show that they've made universal steel cases for all versions. There's also a leaflet advertising their season pass for the game, also the upcoming Doom 4, Dishonored 2, and Elder Scrolls Online. But the "pièce de résistance" you've been eager to read about is the awesome Pip-Boy replica that holds most of the space inside the whole package. It is amazing! One complaint I've heard from some people is that it's too "clean", and not worn out. The Pip-Boy is the most unique object you find in any Fallout game. Other characters may wear their Pip-Boy, sure, but you can't ever loot another one in any circumstance. In the context of Fallout 4, without spoiling anything, you find the Pip-Boy 3000 just laying around in the vault, there's only that one and you really need it to progress. The parallel I'm trying to make is that the physical Pip-Boy in the box is an exact replica of the one in the game, and it is so detailed. It clearly shows a lot of passion went in the making. If you need more context to why it looks new, and not like it was worn by someone who met a stampede of deathclaws, think of it like it was shipped to you brand new directly from Vault-Tec, just as it says on the box. The Pip-Boy is made of a great quality plastic, functional dials (well, just technically, not really dialing anything) and even a couple of orange lights, giving it that vintage raw look. On the inside, where the arm straps, it's padded with a very soft, high-quality foam lining that's not wearing off too soon. It's somewhat large, but it's understandably so because it should fit most human arms, if I may re-use the joke. However, it does have a wide velcro strap that's very useful. The front screen swings up easily and it's made so it can fit most smartphones. Additionally, it comes with a selection of foams for different types of phones so they don't slide around. Well, they mostly thought of Samsung and Iphone, but my weird brand cellphone works with one Iphone 5-sized foam, kinda, so I don't think anyone would have a problem with stuffing their smartphones in there.
 
 
 
 
 
The idea of placing the phone inside the Pip-Boy is so you can use the official Fallout Pip-Boy app from Bethesda, which can be synchronized with the game via a wireless network and you can actually use the physical Pip-Boy in real time. Of course, it depends on each one's playstyle, as I found I'd rather use the in-game PB, but it's still a cool feature.
There are only two disappointing things I've found, and none are major issues, don't worry. One of the issue I have is with the Android app. While testing both the Android version and the Iphone one, I observed that the Android app doesn't have any sort of scaling feature, points going to the Iphone app, which has both resizing and repositioning options. It might be added/fixed at a later date, but I don't get why it's not included right now. The other issue I have is with the balance, as the upper side of the screen weighs more, and that's without a phone inside. I need to strap the velcro really tight to have it in a fixed position. But all that if you really want to use it frequently. Otherwise, if you only want to brag to your friends or show it off on various conventions, there a nice display stand you can rest the Pip-Boy on, place it next to the screen and enjoy admiring it while blowing up some super mutants or some nasty yao guai. Yao guai are mutant bears...
#WelcomeHome

No comments:

Post a Comment